Community RePaint Touches Thousands of Lives in 201022/02/2011 Return to news archive
Repainting the Nation!
Paint reuse network touches thousands of lives in 2010
Community RePaint, the UK-wide paint reuse network, helped to make Britain a brighter place last year by supporting over 12,000 groups and people to transform their local environment.
The network re-distributed more than 215,000 litres of leftover, reusable paint across the country in 2010, to projects such as the makeover of the children’s ward at Newham University Hospital, London, which was carried out by young people participating in the Prince’s Trust Team Programme.
“As part of the programme the team choose a project that will have a long lasting benefit for the community and then set about raising funds to make it possible,’” explained Team Leader, Ben Adefisan, “By using paint from our local Community RePaint scheme we were able to create a bright and welcoming environment for the children on the Rainbow Ward and still have money for the other materials that we couldn’t otherwise afford.”
Community RePaint, which has been sponsored by Dulux since 1993, also brought colour to the lives of individuals, such as Andy*.
“Andy is a 41 year-old man suffering from mental health problems, who, for a number of reasons, no longer felt safe in his home, but could not afford to move,” said Community RePaint’s Manager Martin Pearse. “We were able to help him to re-decorate his flat and improve his living conditions by supplying paint that would have otherwise ended up in landfill.”
In 2010 Community RePaint:
• Collected 316,641 litres of paint
• Re-distributed 215,848 litres of paint
• Saved 561 tonnes of CO2, the equivalent of taking 190 cars off our roads
• Provided 132 volunteer and 112 training opportunities
Sue Brighton, Environmental Projects Manager added that, “Dulux is pleased to continue the long term sponsorship of the Community RePaint network and shares its vision to touch the lives of many individuals and communities in such a positive way through paint.”
- Community RePaint East Berkshire's van gets a make over12/12/2016
- Community RePaint Swindon celebrates 16th Anniversary21/11/2016
- Greater Belfast Takes Broad-Brush Approach to Paint Reuse16/01/2013
- Don't put it in the shed, give it to us instead!01/01/2011